questions about getting started with a chonda

Discussion forum for 4-Cycle classes.

Moderators: Bob Schabel, Daniel Esparza

Alan Phillips

questions about getting started with a chonda

Post by Alan Phillips »

Hey there my name is Alan Phillips and Im completely new to the whole karting world and was hoping to put together a chonda kart to run october 13th in the endurance in the iron man class.

My questions are

1. What are all the fees for the weekend for a non member(such as weekend license, gate, race fees, etc...)
2. is there a place I can buy a legal race ready motor and what makes them not legal so that I can steer clear of that
3. estimated what will it cost me if I already have a rolling cart, to get a chonda kart running for the track
4. do I absolutley have to have a race suit or is jeans and jacket ok, also what shoes are allowed, helmet have to be snell approved? is a motocross neck brace ok?
5. is there a restriction on to what type of chasis is allowed?
6. do I have to buy the tires from the track or can I get them online
7. What kind of gearing should I run on the kart, I am 6ft tall 165-170 lbs

i know there are more things I need to know so if you think of somthing important please fell free to add and answer....Im looking forward to doing this but im not going to start the build until I know all the details and about how much it will cost me and if its worth it.

also is number 62 availiable? and is there a certain background color id need for the number plates

-Alan Phillips-
Kevin Crowe

Re: questions about getting started with a chonda

Post by Kevin Crowe »

Alan,

The fees for a non-member if you are planning on racing ONLY the endurance race should be the $60 plus the pit pass which is another $9. It would only matter for the normal race if you are not a member then the entry fee is $40 for non-member and $25 for member plus $9 pit pass.

There are places such as ARC Racing, Stout Racing and Kart City to get a race ready chonda. Our class is Box-Stock and we follow the AKRA rules. ( http://karting.4cycle.com/showthread.php?t=409588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) As of July 1, we must run the billet flywheel which can be purchased at the places listed above. We do not have a local builder for the Chonda in the area. However you may get a hold of George at Total Concepts Racing in OK to see if he can build you one.

It should cost you in the ball park of around $400 to get your motor together. Base motor is about $130, plus $40 exhaust, $85 add-on kit, $60 clutch and $60-$100 for new flywheel if the new motor doesn't have it installed already. Gears are around $10 - $15 a pop. Which we usually run around a 3.80 ratio for the gear depending whether you use a 14 or 15 tooth driver gear.

You can run with jeans and a jacket and gloves, shoes must be close toed, most sneakers are fine and the helmet must be Snell 2005 approved and no camera mounting on it. I'm not positive on the motocross neck guard, but yes you must at least have one.

The chassis is usually fine as long as you meet the IKF rules, meaning you have a nose, side pods, driver panel, and a full length rear bumper.

You do not have to get tires at the track you can bring your own as long as they are MG Tires, any compound is acceptable, we mostly run yellows.

I hope I answered your questions and if you need any more info feel free to call me at 513-515-8437. I look forward to seeing you at the track.
Kevin Crowe
80cc Shifter
CRG KT-1, #26
Honda CR80
Kevin Crowe

Post by Kevin Crowe »

I wouldn't worry so much about the number, but no one is using 62 right now, but members do have priority on numbers. I am assuming this is your first time racing with us, if so, you will have to run an orange plate on the rear.
Kevin Crowe
80cc Shifter
CRG KT-1, #26
Honda CR80
Alan Phillips

Post by Alan Phillips »

is the following motor legal if I were to buy it and mount it....what else would I need to get before it would be running in a kart?

http://www.robertskartshop.com/p/clone_ ... -AKRA.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and you say a billet fly wheel is what you have to run...is stock not ok?
Kevin Crowe

Post by Kevin Crowe »

This appears to be a legal engine, but in the photo it shows the old style muffler, we now use the RLV 4117 http://www.arcracing.com/servlet/the-45 ... ARC/Detail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with a header strap. I would also call them and find out what cam it has in it. Most of us run the CL-1i http://www.arcracing.com/servlet/the-45 ... BSP/Detail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

If everything is correct with this motor, you should just need a clutch, chain, gears and fuel line.

Here is a link to ARC's engine, if they have any available. http://www.arcracing.com/servlet/the-5/ ... BSP/Detail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kevin Crowe
80cc Shifter
CRG KT-1, #26
Honda CR80
Kevin Crowe

Post by Kevin Crowe »

The stock cast flywheel is no longer legal as of 1 July 2012.
Kevin Crowe
80cc Shifter
CRG KT-1, #26
Honda CR80
Kevin Crowe

Post by Kevin Crowe »

Also, don't forget a 15 degree motor mount.
Kevin Crowe
80cc Shifter
CRG KT-1, #26
Honda CR80