Engine Diaper Source

Discussion forum for 4-Cycle classes.

Moderators: Bob Schabel, Daniel Esparza

Chris Fogarty

Engine Diaper Source

Post by Chris Fogarty »

Anyone found a parts house with engine diapers? Comet and Roberts don't list any online. I haven't checked APS.

Chris
Mike Bray

Re: Engine Diaper Source

Post by Mike Bray »

Here's a post on Bob's forum. Doesn't sound too promising.

http://karting.4cycle.com/showthread.php?t=496566" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Ray
NTK President

Post by John Ray »

in response to the diaper question, they can be purchased at any napa parts store. they are nothing more than an oil absorbent towelthat can be placed safely under the motor as was shown at the track on the day of the announcement. yes this is a asphalt track and when an oil down does occur it holds up the race schedule that night or day and creates a night mare for cleanup. I understand that it is never an intentional situation, and we do not want to run anyone off from racing at our track as noted in those four cycle forums, but it is a problem. as far as a fire hazard goes, it is highly unlikely and if your absorbent towel were to become oily with discharge, surely you would notice and attend to the problem and hence the towel would have done its job. perhaps you should check and see how many of your four stroke forum friends are racing on asphalt.
J RAY
Mike Bray

Post by Mike Bray »

John, are there any pictures you can post? And can you clarify what is meant by "sealed side cover and valve cover"? I have the side cover bolts safety wired and a catch can on the valve cover vent, is there something more that needs to be done?

Thanks
Kevin Crowe

Post by Kevin Crowe »

It was discussed using a high temp RTV or a gasket sealer on the side cover and the valve cover in addition to the stock paper and cork gaskets.
Kevin Crowe
80cc Shifter
CRG KT-1, #26
Honda CR80
John Ray
NTK President

Post by John Ray »

as kevin noted, we will allow you to use an rtv or otherwise sealer to assist the gasket in sealing the side cover to the block. some people have had difficulty getting a good seal there and have had leakage. it is a belt and suspender situation and everything we can do is sadly worth it, you may not have been having any trouble, but others have, also for unforeseen breakage the oil absorbent towel (aka diaper) is a for sure certain help.
J RAY
Mike Bray

Post by Mike Bray »

Dover Power has a new side cover gasket for clone motors that works very well. It's called the Black Super Seal and is 0.020" thick. They also have a nice valve cover gasket made from a rubberized material that is thick and durable.
Chris Fogarty

Post by Chris Fogarty »

I found a roll of "Pig Mat" at NAPA on sale for $18. It is 15" X 50'. Pig Mat produces oil absorption sheet products for the auto shop industry.
Matt Christman

Post by Matt Christman »

I haven't seen them in person yet, nor do I know if the size is right, but here is an inexpensive solution from Autozone...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... rget=shelf