How fast does the Chonda class run

Discussion forum for 4-Cycle classes.

Moderators: Bob Schabel, Daniel Esparza

Matt Christman

How fast does the Chonda class run

Post by Matt Christman »

I have a 16 year old son who is interested in getting involved in Karting. After reading a lot of information, I was thinking that the Chonda class would be great for him. It seems to be pretty popular and much less expensive to get into than some of the more "elite" classes.

I'm a bit concerned though becuase my sone is a fast learner and outgrows nearly everything he buys fairly quickly. After reading, I see the Chonda class use a 6.5 hp engine? These karts just don't seem to be able to be that fast with that small of an engine.

We have been to the DKC place in Caddo mills and he had a blast with the adult rental carts, but I know by his lap times that he will very quickly qualify to rent the expensive next class of carts.

I have also found a lot of kits and performance add ons for the Chonda 6.5 hp engines. What are the rules to keep the classes competitive? Must the block be sealed, and then add ons are what make the difference? What's the difference between the Blue and the yellow?

Thanks for any advice. I don't want to waste a ton of money on something my son is going to tire of quickly, nor do I want to spend far too much money for something he can't handle without tons of practice.
Kevin Crowe

Re: How fast does the Chonda class run

Post by Kevin Crowe »

Matt,

The Chonda class is great to teach you to drive. The low power requires you to run a good line, you cannot make up for a bad turn with power. They are very low maintenance, cost, and don't require much tuning.

We have a club kart that you can take out after a race and get a feel for. They are faster than they look. The top speed is around 52 mph at NTK, based on RPM and gearing. I raced one for about 2 years and it tought me a lot.

The rules are setup to only run "box stock" motors, NO porting, polishing, machining, etc. and only using stock parts. The add-on's allow you to mount it on a kart, the rules specify specific springs, carbs, mufflers, and pipes to keep it equal. The only difference between the blue and yellow is the manufacturer. The blues were produced for Harbor Freight before the "Predator". The yellow has now been produced to run for racing, they do not come with governors installed and ready to put the add-on kit and run. If you have any questions, feel free to call me. 513-515-8437 Hope I answered some of your questions.
Kevin Crowe
80cc Shifter
CRG KT-1, #26
Honda CR80
Matt Christman

Post by Matt Christman »

Thank you for the reply Kevin, that helps me alot.

My next question is this... If we start with a Chonda, and he learns quickly, would we be able to simply swap out the engine for say a Yamaha or whatever is the next faster class, or would that require a huge expense and a ton of work?

can anyone list the classes in an order where most people might progress from and to, or perhaps slowest to fastest lap times? (All for adults, no need for junior classes)

Thanks again! I'm learning a lot already.
Kevin Crowe

Post by Kevin Crowe »

Matt,

Yes it is just as simple as swapping the motor and mount. If you don't mind throwing money at engines, it can be a big expense depending on if you buy them new or not. It is not required that you move up gradually, just getting a good feel for driving and handling of a kart is a good start, then get a faster motor and start learning all over again.

The classes:
Chonda
Animal
Yamaha KT100
80cc Shifter (80's, TAG, and ROTAX run close times)
TAG (Leopard, ROTAX (unsealed), Fireball, ROK, SoniK, Motori Seven)
ROTAX (sealed)
125 Shifter

If you plan on running a shifter later, you may want to get a chassis that can easily accommodate both. (CRG) ;)

Again, I highly recommend coming out and checking everything out and taking our club kart out. It won't cost you anything other than time.
Kevin Crowe
80cc Shifter
CRG KT-1, #26
Honda CR80
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Post by Bob Schabel »

I will be at the track on Saturday morning if you want to come up for a Demo ride and check it out. Regards, bob
Matt Christman

Post by Matt Christman »

Thank you Bob. Sent you a PM. I think my wife and son will head on out and see you there. :D