chonda gearing

Discussion forum for 4-Cycle classes.

Moderators: Bob Schabel, Daniel Esparza

Leon Knox

chonda gearing

Post by Leon Knox »

What is a good starting point for gearing that everyone is running trying to increase rpm and top end speed on straights we seem to have low rpm we are in the 5400 range now
Chance Barthold

Re: chonda gearing

Post by Chance Barthold »

I think most people try to get close to a 4:1 ratio. So 15t from the motor and 60t axle sprocket as an example. Everyone is different especially depending on which class you're in but it's fairly close to this. If you want more rpm's then going up in tooth count on the axle sprocket will help. A bigger axle sprocket will get you up to speed quicker but my not have the top end speed as someone who is running a smaller axle sprocket. From my own experience, it's best to go to the track with sprockets 56 through 61 and practice running laps with each to find out what you gives you the best LAP times, not necessarily the most rpm's or top end speed.

Chance Barthold,
Chonda HEAVY #5
Leon Knox

Post by Leon Knox »

Thanks have some work to do think we are way off it is my daughter racing with u in the jr chonda right now but dad working on getting her something else and dad is going to give it a go think we were at a 4.7 so way off
Kevin Crowe

Post by Kevin Crowe »

I ran mine close to 3.80, it really depends on your rpms. should be hitting just over 6000
Kevin Crowe
80cc Shifter
CRG KT-1, #26
Honda CR80
Chris Fogarty

Post by Chris Fogarty »

Leon, My son Richard (#29 Jr. III) runs 14/54 (3.86:1) The motor is hitting 6100 flat entering turn one. We are going to drop a tooth on the rear.
Chris
Joe Emmons

Post by Joe Emmons »

Clutch driver 15 . Rear gear 57
Leon Knox

Post by Leon Knox »

Thanks everyone got the gearing changed now just a few last touch ups on the kart and we can see how are times are