Exhuast systems / valves For chonda

Discussion forum for 4-Cycle classes.

Moderators: Bob Schabel, Daniel Esparza

Rex Hardin

Exhuast systems / valves For chonda

Post by Rex Hardin »

What are going to be the legal pipes and muffler for the chonda class ? Where can we get the proper info on what is going to be legal and what is not legal ? Is there a list avaible with the part numbers that are legal? Are the after market stainless steel valves with the new keepers legal or not? I was sick last saturday and did not race. I was there for 1 hour then left I was told this became a issue after I went home.
Boyd Atherton

Re: Exhuast systems / valves For chonda

Post by Boyd Atherton »

We had a meeting with the Chonda driver's that were there at the end of the night to discuss the pipe options. Looks like it was decided that we would see if there's much difference in the weenie pipe vs. the big pipe on the long track next weekend.

I e-mailed John, Bob and Tom (Tech inspector) earlier about the pipe discussion and also spoke with Tom on the phone. He's going to bring it up at the board meeting tomorrow night.

Personally I'd like to run a bigger pipe. Just want to make sure there's some set guidelines for the specs of the pipe that can be used. I won't be able to be at the track this coming weekend because I'll be in Austin at the Moto GP race, but if there's a vote I'm in for the bigger pipe.

Not sure about the Stainless valves. I thought I read something about stainless nitrate coated valve allowed.
Rex Hardin

Post by Rex Hardin »

Boyd is there a reply on what exhuast is legal and what is not? Is there going to be a list made of manufactures and part # made on what will be allowed per N.T.K. rules and TEch ?
Boyd Atherton

Post by Boyd Atherton »

Haven't heard anything definitive on what will be allowed. They had a board meeting last night, hopefully this was discussed. When I spoke with Tom, he said we would see how it goes at this next race. I'm sure they'll be some discussion about it at the race. I won't be there, but I'd like to put in my vote to have the bigger pipe as an option.

If a bigger pipe is an option we just need to make sure that there are specs as to the length, diameter and silencer. There are quite a large number of options available for these bigger pipes.

Having said all that if you're racing Saturday, I'd bring the weenie pipe also just to be on the safe side.

Hopefully some other Chonda people will join the discussion with their opinions.
Rex Hardin

Post by Rex Hardin »

The after market valves that take the chevy stlye keepers are illegal for box stock class. The pipe issue will be discussed more this saturday at the track.It was talked about at the meeting last night and was deciced to look into it more this weekend.To get more in put on it from everybody. Please people let them know how you all feel dont let 1 or 2 people just change the rules for their own reasons.Just becuase one pipe did something on one style track remember that was a short track the big pipe is supposed to make its difference on the long tracks. So keep this in mind. Lets all do this as a group what is best and what is desired by the most not by WHO GRIPES THE LOUDEST. Let your voice be heard on the board and at the meetings!
Mike Bray

Post by Mike Bray »

I'm not in the chonda class anymore so I can probably offer an unbiased opinion. There are two advantages to moving away from the weenie pipe; reliability and power. The engine will probably gain about 1 HP but it's the same for everyone. Reliability is bigger in my book, the small tube OD and WT on the weenie pipe is just not up to the stresses of racing. Because of that they stress crack and can even fall off creating a danger to anyone behind.

I think the club should have a local option and specify one or two pipes & silencers. I know from experience the Rapp pipes are very good and not prone to failure.
Rex Hardin

Post by Rex Hardin »

Thank you for info. Is the stress crack from not being brace correctly and being put in a bind or not being braced at all. Also are they being tightened down all the way on one bolt and then the other and cuasing a stress issue that away. Instead of snug each side then tighten down back and forth.
Mike Bray

Post by Mike Bray »

The bracing helps but fundamentally the problem is the small diameter tubing (I think it's 0.75") and the thin wall which I think is 0.062". There's just not enough material there to stand up to the heat and vibration.
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Post by Bob Schabel »

The Board of Directors discussed the subject. We decided to watch the performance of both pipes at the Spring 4 race and then make a decision.
Wayne Riedel

Post by Wayne Riedel »

The 2014 rule book spells it out in black and white just like the 2013 book that NTK has. Rule changes during the year are for safety purposes only. The only time we broke a pipe was due to no brace. The other proposed pipe is longer than the 15" rule and will be another bracing issue because it is heavier and longer.
The testing on the race night is not appropriate because when we are running for points it causes a problem with end of year and series points.
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Post by Bob Schabel »

FYI, the decision has been made to follow the AKRA rulebook. If drivers want to run the "longer pipe" then you will have to run in the Chonda "Pro Box Stock Class". Be aware that doing so will split the number of class entries and the classes will be in jeopardy of not having enough entries at the end of the year to qualify for year end awards. Tom Harris has volunteered to help look at the small pipe brackets to help eliminate them braking.
Rex Hardin

Post by Rex Hardin »

Thank Yall for addressing this issue in a speedy but through concern. Thank all of the people involved!!! REX HARDIN