Interest in "Pea Pick" v. Qualifying

Discussion forum for 4-Cycle classes.

Moderators: Bob Schabel, Daniel Esparza

Boyd Atherton

Interest in "Pea Pick" v. Qualifying

Post by Boyd Atherton »

Some us in the Animal class have been talking about running "Pea Pick" style rather Qualifying. With "Pea Pick" we would get to race 2 heat races and then a final instead of Qualify, Heat and final.

I was told that if everyone in the class wants to do Pea Pick, then we could do it. Only problem is our Animal class is often combined with Chonda lite, heavy and Junior Animal. Lately those classes have been pretty small so I can't see it being a big deal for them.

With Pea Pick there would be more racing, more passing and I think more fun. If you're running Animal or any of the classes mentioned above, please weigh in on the idea of running Pea Pick for the Fall Series.
Charles Pou

Re: Interest in "Pea Pick" v. Qualifying

Post by Charles Pou »

Pea Pick sounds like good idea to me. I know John Ray likes to do Pea Pick when he runs, so must be a good thing. :-)
chris foisy

Post by chris foisy »

explain the pea pick start...
John Ray
NTK President

Post by John Ray »

pea pick racing is a form of draw we used to do before we got the AMB timing system where all racers qualify time wise for position in the pre final race. when you do pea pick the computer does a random draw of drivers in the chosen class and sets the starting grid for the first of three heat races, the second heat is a inversion of the first heat grid line up, in other words if you started on the pole in the first heat, you would start in the last position in the second heat. the finishing points for those two heats are added together and the high total is the pole position for the third heat and so on back as the points direct. in the past the points for all three race heats were added together and the high points driver for the night was the eventual winner for the race night, I believe what they do now is only use the finishing position in the final heat as the overall winner for the night, but I might be wrong because it has been some time since we have used this form of racing.
pea pick racing is better since it makes the drivers learn how to pass and work their way to the front thru traffic, also the better drivers usually advance to the front eventually anyway, but they have to earn the position. it really makes for more equal racing since the lightning fast driver is not always in the front every time because of qualifying fastest.
the drawback in this form of racing is the persons in the scoring tower must be able to enter the correct data for pea pick and there must be a unanimous agreement with all in the class, also combining of classes confuses this issue somewhat.
hope this answers your question.
J RAY
Tony Hager

Post by Tony Hager »

I am not currently racing but do plan to eventually. I think this system sounds great and I would definitely vote for it when I start racing.
Tony Hager
URTMotorsports
http://www.urtmotorsports.com
tony.hager@urthllc.com
United Realty Texas
http://www.unitedrealtytexas.com
(940) 898-8000