How do I get started? I want to give it a try!

Discussion forum for shifters.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

Jeremy Ault

How do I get started? I want to give it a try!

Post by Jeremy Ault »

Hello and let me introduce myself. My name is Jeremy and I drive a Mitsubishi Evolution and have autocrossed for a few years and done a track day or two and just decided that I want to race a 125CC shifter kart and autocross it in the F125 SCCA class also.

My reason is that I really enjoy racing and I want to take it to the next level (go really fast to put it simply) but don't have the budget for an all-out race car so this seems like the logical choice.

So what's the best way to jump right in?

Thanks.
Chance Kelly

Re: How do I get started? I want to give it a try!

Post by Chance Kelly »

Hello there, I'll respond as a relative newbie to this. I would say you're starting out with a bit more experience than I had, but I started out by contacting this track and setting up a intro session with Chris Williams. He introduced me to the basics of karting and the track and I was hooked. Afterwords I kept an eye out on craigslist and this forums for a good deal on a kart, purchased one and a membership to the track and that's all there was.

I go out there as often as I can (though not as often as I would like yet!) and practice. Everyone around here is very friendly and they'll be able to help you out and provide more information, but of course the first thing is to get a kart and the safety gear!

If you're near me (Plano) I'm sure we can help each other out as well.

Oh, I forgot to add, but I decided to start with the Yamaha KT100 as opposed to the shifter kart. I'm not sure what everyone's view is, but I know I wasn't ready for the shifter karts yet.

Chance
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Webmaster

Post by Yaani-Mai Gaddy »

Hi Jeremy,

First step is to come to the track & see what classes are run & talk to the racers in those classes.

Entry level classes include Yamaha KT100 & Chonda (4-cycle Honda clone).

There is a difference in speed, price & maintenance between these.

Some racers enter into the higher horsepower Rotax class directly and are very successful also.

A lot depends on your budget and how much maintenance you want to perform on your engine & clutch.

It makes sense to enter karting in a lower horsepower class to learn the driving lines and how to drive consistently before moving up to a higher horsepower engine.

We have a race this weekend, why don't you come out & visit with us. Be sure & stop by & say hello I drive Chonda kart #32.

If you mention it is your first visit to the track you will get in free.

If you have any questions about the Chonda class be sure to call me or post questions here.

Hope we see you soon,
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
972-4623-8393
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Jeremy Ault

Post by Jeremy Ault »

Hello, Chance.

I live in McKinney so I'm not that far. I did some reading and figured I'll need a Snell 2000 helmet (I have one), full kart suit, gloves, neck brace, shoes, and possibly a rib protector. Does that sound right? This, of course, in addition to the kart. But I'll be sure to come to an event and take notes so I'll know everything I need.

Hello, Yaani-Mai.

I completely agree with your suggestions and I will come and check it out. The only reason I'm looking to go straight to the 125cc shifter is because I'm already involved with autocross and I want to use the kart for both autocross and kart racing. The SCCA autocross has only a 125cc shifter class for karts so that's what I have to get if I want to do both. Does that sound crazy? Maybe a little but it also sounds like a lot of fun. :mrgreen:

When I do come by I'll be sure to say hi. It won't be this weekend though.
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
NTK Webmaster

Post by Yaani-Mai Gaddy »

Jeremy,

That sounds like a great plan to use your kart at NTK & autocross.

In 2011 we will be switching to Snell 2005 helmets. But the Snell 2005 helmets will not be required until the 2011 NTK race season starts in March. See NTK Rule 1.2.1 Protective Driving Gear http://www.ntkarters.com/Rules-400K-PDF.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yaani-Mai Gaddy
www.gaddywebdesign.com
972-462-8393
Matt Stephenson

Post by Matt Stephenson »

Jeremy,
How goes the search for a kart?

I know that two of the shops here local have used chassis, maybe give mark at 3G a call, and Mike at the Kart shop. Mark pointed me to a great deal on a radiator from Spike Products. There are several places to get engines from, SRS (obviously great and local) I got mine on sale from SharkShifter.com and am pretty happy with it.

Bell was having a sale on snell2005 helmets, they might still be. If you need anything give me a shout. I am the #14 shifter, talk to me any time, but I might not know some things since I'm new too.
#14 S2 shifter
Indycar, Formula Mazda, kart, streetcar

http://www.stephensonracetech.com
Jeremy Ault

Post by Jeremy Ault »

Thanks Matt and to everyone else who has offered advice.

I don't have a kart yet but it's not hard to find one. I'll probably end up buying a used one from someone on this forum, maybe from one of the shops mentioned or maybe from an individual, then go from there.

I will try to come out to the race tomorrow and just check it out, see what goes on, and perhaps talk to a few of you if I get a chance to. See you all there.
Mark French

Post by Mark French »

Jeremy, it was great meeting you yesterday. Jake asked me several times who's red car is that! Drop me an email or give me a call if we can help out. I do have used and new ones in stock as we discussed yesterday.

Thanks,
Mark
mark@3gkartracing.com
Mark French
vwrod1@hotmail.com
Jeremy Ault

Post by Jeremy Ault »

Thanks Mark, it was good talking to you yesterday as well.

Matt, it was nice to meet you and hopefully I'll be joining the races before too long.

I'm pumped up about getting a kart, getting on the track, and seeing if I can keep from tumbling off the back side of turn one.