Kid Kart Clutch

Discussion forum for Kid Kart classes.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

Blake Small

Kid Kart Clutch

Post by Blake Small »

At Practice the other day, Clutch came apart on us-Broken Spring. Is it okay to just replace the springs or is it best to replace shoes and springs? Also I assume you must use Comer springs? What are the exact rules for Kid Karts, What sanction rules are used.

Thanks Blake
Blake Small

Re: Kid Kart Clutch

Post by Blake Small »

The reason I ask is the clutch shoes appear to be in good shape and didnt seem to need replacing. Just curious what others do in this case? The kart seems to be engaging good, I think maybe we just had a faulty spring.
Brandon Johnson

Post by Brandon Johnson »

Blake,

They do sell springs for the clutch and if the shoes look ok then it is fine to change "all" the springs. There are normal springs and cryo springs. Not sure what the cryo springs do for you for the added cost. I recommend getting a clutch install tool, it is easier and won't damage you new springs.

Brandon

Ethan #2 Blue Deuce
Blake Small

Post by Blake Small »

Thanks Brandon. Ive ordered the Puller & Shoe tool as well as 3 springs as the shoes looks pretty good to me. Just a matter of getting the parts now...Boy is ready to go, he has improved so much in the 3-4 times he has been in the Kart, he was really going good, close to 1:00 lap times when the clutch blew up. I think this little break will be good for him and he will be eager to get back to the track when we can get this thing back together. Thanks for the reply.
Steve Lewis

Post by Steve Lewis »

The cryo springs hold more tension thus allowing higher toms before engaging. Clutch springs break all the time. Keep the old ones as emergency fixes or buy another set. It's a cheap fix for not losing a race down the road. The clutch will last you a few years if not blueprinted. But if you can buy another one used for 20-30 bucks its nice to have
stvwrnglr
Blake Small

Post by Blake Small »

Thanks Steve