First kart

Information & Questions about karting in general.

Moderator: Bob Schabel

Dan Engberson

First kart

Post by Dan Engberson »

All:

We are completely new to karting, and have no idea which sort of kart to start with. From reading these threads, it sounds like a Chondra would be best. Is that pretty much the consensus?

I have a 12 year old son and a 10 year old daughter that both want to race. Is there a kind of Chondra kart that they both could run? I'd rather buy one kart than two, obviously.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. See you at the track!
John Ray
NTK President

Re: First kart

Post by John Ray »

Dan, having to buy two karts at once is always tough on the pocketbook, so my advice would be buy one now and let your children take turns practicing in it, also i would advise buying an adult size chassis, (this is what your 12 year old would have to move to anyway and there can be adjustments made for the fit to accomodate the younger child. However there will come a time when your children will want and need to practice together, so you will have to be on the lookout for a suitable kart. Again i need to advise you that your youngest at 10 would normally be in a cadet size kart, (shorter wheelbase), but at the age you would have to buy an adult size frame after 12 yrs. old, so perhaps you would want to buy a adult size to begin with rather than buy a cadet and have to buy again. Chonda is a good motor package to begin with and learn how to drive and race, but we currently dont have any drivers younger than 12, i think. Hope this isnt too overwhelming at the beginning, especially on buying equipment. Good luck and if i can be of more help just ask.
J RAY
Dan Engberson

Post by Dan Engberson »

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at used karts and there are a couple that seem good. So I've got 2 questions: new vs used and yamaha vs chondra vs rotax. Anybody want to weigh in? Keeping in mind that my son wants to be a race driver, is one a better stepping stone than the other? We're out for more than just weekend entertainment. Thanks!
John Ray
NTK President

Post by John Ray »

Dan, my advice is to start at the bottom and work your way up. Your driver needs to learn how to drive a kart first and then hone his achieved skills until he is not able to go any quicker or faster in the kart he is in and then move to the next step. I only reccomend yamaha because it is cost effective and once you have accomplished that class then move on. Rotax is a good class for ultimate championship racing, however the competitors in rotax have already progressed to that level and competition is stiff, no place for new comers or drivers with only a few seasons under them. Stairstepping is the only way to achieve the goal you set for your driver, every lap you can possibly get, race day or practice day, you both have a large amount to learn.
J RAY
David Munden

Post by David Munden »

Some of the best advice I've ever seen given on this forum. Way to go John!
Dan Engberson

Post by Dan Engberson »

Now we're getting somewhere! Yamaha it is. Thanks for the clear info- it's exactly what I'm looking for. Now to find a kart...
Leon Knox

Post by Leon Knox »

I have a chonda jr 10 year old had to stop this fall do to my work schedule but hope to be back at the track soon. Chonda is a great lower cost way to race.