Newbie needs help!

Discussion forum for 4-Cycle classes.

Moderators: Bob Schabel, Daniel Esparza

Tony Meza

Newbie needs help!

Post by Tony Meza »

Hey guys I've been around motoring in some form or fashion but I am new to Karting from a racing prespective. I bought a used NTK kart late last year that needed a little TLC and I think it's ready now. I have all my gear ready (suit, gloves, neck brace, lid) except for a transponder. (Does any one know where I can get a used one at a relatively good price? Other than that I'm not sure what the next step to get into the track...Bob (Schabel) gave it an inspection before Spring Race 5 and addresed a couple things. Those have been corrected except the drilled bolts that mount the brake's master cylnder?? Can't seem to find those anywhere!? Any advice would be appreciated as I am anxious to get to the track!

BTW.. Bob was nice enough to let me work the Spring Race 5 taking pics and I'm sure I captured many of you or your kiddo! Here is the link to the gallery..

http://tmphotography81.zenfolio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for all your help guys!!

Tony,

Amateur photographer and AVID racer!!
Kevin Crowe

Re: Newbie needs help!

Post by Kevin Crowe »

Tony,

You are not required to buy a transponder, we rent them at the track for $10. I would keep an eye on our classified section in this forum and also ekartingnews.com's classified forum for a used transponder.

The brake master cylinder bolts, the easiest thing to do would be to take them out and drill them so that you can run safety wire through them. If you can't do it yourself, your local machine shop should be able to do it for you. It is difficult to find pre-drilled bolts but this should get you ready to race.
Kevin Crowe
80cc Shifter
CRG KT-1, #26
Honda CR80
Tony Meza

Post by Tony Meza »

Kevin,

Thanks for the advice. If anyone knows of a machine shop in the Irving/Valley Ranch area it would be appreaciated. I gave the kart a run this afternoon and the brake is slipping..this could be something a regular brake shop can look at right? Glad to know xponders are rented..if I can get those two things then I hope I can make it out to the track this Saturday.

T
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Post by Bob Schabel »

bring the kart to the track Friday night and we can work on fixing the brakes.
Tony Meza

Post by Tony Meza »

Bob that would be great! Any particular time to be up there friday night?
While we are out there, what are the possiblities to getting my 7 almost 8 year old to try out a kart...he keeps asking me when he is going to race but I'm just not sure if it's the hype of "daddy doing it" or if he really is interested..I also have a 13 year old boy and I have taken them both out to DKC to run and he just wasnt as interested in it..I would really like for this to become family or bonding thing with the boys though.

Thanks a bunch.
Bob Schabel
NTK Vice President

Post by Bob Schabel »

Yes, we can do demo rides for both kids friday night, regards, bob