Several more Chonda questions

Discussion forum for 4-Cycle classes.

Moderators: Bob Schabel, Daniel Esparza

Boyd Atherton

Several more Chonda questions

Post by Boyd Atherton »

Sorry more questions. I'm hoping to get my kart switched over to race Chonda in the first spring race.

What size jet are most people running in their carb? I'm looking to have 4-5 in a range to test with.

On the absorbent pads that needs to be under the motor, would it just be a "pig mat or oil-dri" pad placed on top of the motor mount before mounting the motor?

What gearing do Chonda's for the short track races? I know it's about 15-57/58 for the regular track.
John Ray
NTK President

Re: Several more Chonda questions

Post by John Ray »

the main jet needs to be drilled out to .038 dia. I can do it for you. not to sure about the rear gearing, but you will definitely need a sprocket with more teeth on it, maybe 15/62 or 63 it depends on the rpm at the end of the front straightaway twisting maybe around 6,000 rpm. the absorbent pad can be clamped under the motor mount and wrapped around the base of the motor, also this year the side cover bolts and drain plug must be drilled and safety wired. hope this helps.
J RAY
Kevin Crowe

Post by Kevin Crowe »

short track gearing, it is generally better to go to a 14 on the driver instead of going into the 60's with the rear gear as it is very tall and may drag on the curbs. i honestly do not remember what worked for the short track exactly but it is all going to depend on weight and the drivers ability.

like John said, a 38 jet is the norm i have used a 37 and played around with other sizes with minimal differences.
Kevin Crowe
80cc Shifter
CRG KT-1, #26
Honda CR80
Boyd Atherton

Post by Boyd Atherton »

Thanks for the tips. That gives me a better picture of how to do the oil absorbent pad.

I was thinking it would be better change the driver for short track also. Right now I only have a 15 and a 12, so I'll have to get a 14 to try. Guess I'll do some experimenting with it.