Questions about Box-Stock Animal

Discussion forum for 4-Cycle classes.

Moderators: Bob Schabel, Daniel Esparza

Chris Chandler

Questions about Box-Stock Animal

Post by Chris Chandler »

Hello all,

I was reading though the rules for the Box Stock Animal class and it implied that there was a requirement on a specific clutch and exhaust - or is that just calling out the parts that are supplied via a package deal from a local kart store? For what it's worth, my clutch is a Hilliard Flame and the exhaust/header is RLV. It was purchased via Margay directly, so I'd hope it would not run afoul of normal "stock" rules (reference: http://www.margay.com/shopmargay/Briggs ... LO206.html)

I'm presuming an LO206 would classify as a box-stock Animal (silly question, but have to ask :)?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Chandler
Leon Knox

Re: Questions about Box-Stock Animal

Post by Leon Knox »

The kit you have listed looks correct never heard the lo206 mentioned as box stock if you search for lo206 rules should bring you to the briggs lo206 rules. Also Ntk does have storage sheds not sure to of cost or if any are open come join us at ntk.
Chris Chandler

Post by Chris Chandler »

Thanks, Leon!

I guess I keep getting confused about LO206 vs Animal vs Sealed Animal vs Box Stock, etc.

I guess the point is, I presume there would be a class I could race in with that setup? :)

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Chandler
Leon Knox

Post by Leon Knox »

Yup. We run Jr but we have 2 adult classes great group
Chris Chandler

Post by Chris Chandler »

Sounds good. I presume normal and heavy? If so, what are the weight requirements.

Thanks again!
Leon Knox

Post by Leon Knox »

Medium 340 heavy is 375 as listed in lo206 Ntk rules
Tony Hager

Post by Tony Hager »

Chris,

The big difference in an LO206 and an "Animal" is the hologram seals on the engine. As long as you have those you will fit in the LO206 class. The link you supplied is all the correct items ie.. the pipe can be an RLV 5506 or 5507 as per the Briggs rules. Most of our drivers are using the 5507. You also have to have the 6100 rev limiter which is standard on the LO206. In the past years several of our members did run the Box Stock Animal class which allowed them to run a higher RPM limiter (12,000). Most all of them have now switched to the LO206 class.
Tony Hager
URTMotorsports
http://www.urtmotorsports.com
tony.hager@urthllc.com
United Realty Texas
http://www.unitedrealtytexas.com
(940) 898-8000
Chris Chandler

Post by Chris Chandler »

Thanks for the clarification, Tony.

Just to make sure I'm getting it: It's possible to have "box stock" without the hologram seals? Guessing it comes down to tech inspection/scrutineering?

Splitting hairs, I presume, but just want to make sure I'm saying the right thing when I talk to folks :)
Tony Hager

Post by Tony Hager »

Yes, it is possible. It is very confusing to everyone so don't feel bad.
The Animal engine has been around for awhile and is basically the same engine but did not have the seals so engine builders could customize them to their liking. Of course the price tag could go anywhere with that type of racing so Briggs Racing came out with a package that they monitor from the Factory level in order to keep the cost down and in hopes of getting all the tracks close enough on the "Local Option" portion of it so that people can go race anywhere and unload and be competitive with very few modifications. The term "box stock" came about prior to Briggs creating the LO206 package with the seals and was basically the Animal engine as it came from Briggs and before the engine builder did anything to it.
So with that being said, the LO206 engine is actually a Animal block but sealed from the factory. Once you wear out the motor you can cut the seals and you will then have an "Animal" that you can modify. You can also order short blocks that are sealed from Briggs. I also believe the actual Animal blocks have a little more material to allow the builders more flexibility.

Hope I got that clear and didn't confuse you any more, LOL.
Tony Hager
URTMotorsports
http://www.urtmotorsports.com
tony.hager@urthllc.com
United Realty Texas
http://www.unitedrealtytexas.com
(940) 898-8000
Chris Chandler

Post by Chris Chandler »

Ah, gotcha. I think that was the piece I was missing.

So, clear as mud ;)

Seriously, though, thanks for taking the time to explain it.

I'll be up there sometime this weekend to drop off my kart - and hopefully put in a few laps before the racing festivities. I want to get some laps under my belt before I become a slow-moving speed bump for the rest of the class.